Tuesday 25 June 2013

Can I Trust You Again??

                                   

Trust in any relationship is hard. When I was young it was a word said with the same tone as respect. People earned your trust, and they earned your respect. I have heard people say, “she has to trust me and respect me”. Yet they are playing games, and sometimes even cheating. That is a contradiction in terms.
What is trust? It is literally defined as having faith in someone, or relying on someone.
Wikipedia says it is:
The degree to which one party trusts another is a measure of belief in the honesty, fairness, or benevolence of another party.
If you don't trust someone, they won't be able to hurt you. Think of putting your trust in someone like giving someone some delicate possession of yours to hold. They now have the ability to drop it and hurt "you". If you never give it to them, they can't hurt you. This is no way to live though. Having relationship with people just means you have to risk getting hurt.
How can I trust a man or woman who keeps hurting me at every opportunity? Because the more I trust the person the more power I give them to hurt me. By trusting someone you make yourself vulnerable. Not only do you feel betrayed and hurt by them, you also feel angry at yourself for trusting them and giving them the power to hurt you amplifies the feeling ten folds. That's not to say don't trust people, but be careful who you trust. I have real trust issues; I wish I could trust more easily. I find generally that I can trust a person once but after they break that trust I never fully trust them again. Unfortunately it’s the price to pay for any sort of relationship be it friend, family or business.
                               
Can I really move past the heartbreak of broken trust? Even if I was deeply wounded with traumatic and repeated episodes of betrayal!! I must confess that it won’t be easy to manage. But come to think of it (pondering!!!) will I allow another person’s untrustworthiness affect my ability to trust? I must have also broken someone else’s trust. We all have. None of us are perfect; we are all sinful.
It isn’t possible for even my closest friends to be totally trustworthy, but someone else is -- Jesus Christ, the Son of God. His love for me is overwhelming and led him to live a perfect life for all of us in this imperfect world.
I can trust Him, His love, His forgiveness, and His help in every situation while I live in a hurting world. Wow! I can trust again and again!  Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment