Wednesday 19 June 2013

Something About My NAME.

                                                   
                                           
Just think for a few minutes now, I would like you to think about your name. Is it a good name? If you could have named yourself, would you have chosen the same name? There is a meaning behind every name, what is the meaning behind yours? My English name is Justina which means “Justice” while my native name is Nwakaego which means “A child is greater than money”. No wonder I display some traits of always wanting justice to prevail in every issue that I face. I can’t stand it when someone wants to simply take advantage of the other!! If you want to be my friend then don’t maltreat a child or a woman! These two categories of people are my heart beat. Sorry guys hope you are not calling me a feminist!! Whatever, no apologies! I’m always proud to stand for Justice and Fairness.
Some years ago, I travelled to my village for a traditional marriage and one day while we were chatting and relaxing a woman cried out of her compound and her husband chased her out and pushed her down and was beating her mercilessly. People immediately came to the rescue of the woman and I told the man if he beat her again I was going to call the police for him and he rained insults on me! From the information I gathered, the man was a drunk and keeps late night. I told myself I was going to teach him one or two lessons! I called my friends who were in the army and they took him to their barrack for two days. Ha…..ha (forget me when I’m mischievous) when he came back, he was a different man! He was made to sign an undertaking that he will never beat his wife again and that he was going to be responsible!
Today we are family friends and his wife told me that if she was to make a choice again in respect to marriage, she will choose her husband and I was touched by that statement. I love my name, it’s working for me!
Do not forget that whatever you name your infant boy or girl will have a profound effect on the development of their mind, personality, career path, self-confidence, and much more. My first daughter’s name is “Favour” and I noticed that anywhere she goes, people notice her and she comes home with gifts!
When I go to shop for her younger ones, I end up buying more things for her!! There must be something about her!! Yah it’s her NAME! FAVOUR.
We spoke briefly about this in our Bible Study. Think back to Biblical times. Jacob, the father of the twelve tribes wrestled with God, and God changed his name to Israel. In Genesis, chapter 32, God said to Jacob, “Your name shall longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have struggled with God and with men and have prevailed.” And from that point on, Jacob (Israel) was blessed. He said “I have seen God face to face and my life is preserved.” Israel is called Israel today because of Jacob’s faithfulness. And from that point on, God used him in a powerful way in spite of his limp, as we have talked about before. And God uses each of us in spite of our limps.
Yes I strongly agree with this biblical story about Jacob. But do you know that our fore fathers in those days give names based on the circumstance or situation surrounding the birth of a child? I was told that because my grandfather’s children were dying immediately after birth, he named his new born child Onwora which means “death go away”. While when he became economically comfortable, the child that was born at that time was called Obiagili which means “a child born into wealth to enjoy”. Hmnnnn…. I’m just wondering if we are to consider the security situation we are facing now (Boko Haram insurgence) what will a mother call her new born child?? Lol.. Please answer it yourself!
I will want to believe that in the past people call their children names based on the NOW( that is the circumstance at that moment) while we the new generation parents call our children names based on what we expect them to become in FUTURE.
 If I was to change my name today, I will want to be called GREATNESS!! I just like the name and sure everybody knows the meaning of the name and so I don’t have to start explaining it. When next our paths cross, just call me GREATNESS!
What is the meaning of your Name? Please do add your voice by commenting! Better still, start thinking of changing your name!! See you at the TOP!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment